Sunday, October 21, 2007

Two Worlds Collide

As a Massachusetts transplant currently residing in Ohio, it's been tough to stay out of harm's way when it comes to sports. I've also been amazed out how my home land and this new, foreign land are currently pitted against each other in every real sporting event.

For starters, the Red Sox and Indians are about to play a Game 7 tonight to decide who goes to the World Series to get swept by the Rockies. As a Sox fan, I've been tried to stay quiet and away from the arguments...but there's not avoiding it. And it's a tough place to be because hey, Cleveland deserves a winner and all my teams in Boston do is win, so I don't specifically NEED another champion, but gosh, I'd sure enjoy it. Cleveland fans? They keep telling me this team is better than the '75 squad and make references to teams long since passed. They seem to be dying for a championship, but it's getting ugly out there.

Ohio State is currently #1 in the BCS rankings, but guess whose creeping up behind them? That's right, Boston College. Now I'm not a Boston College fan, never have been, never will be, but they are from my home and they are looking to stay undefeated and catch those pesky Buckeyes. I just find it amazing that those two happen to be the top teams in the country.

I'd like to say something about the Patriots/Browns rivalry here, or even the Patriots/Bengals, but good golly the Browns and Bengals had it handed to them this year by the Patriots, but who hasn't that happened to?

Finally, the Cavs and the Celtics. Now this is something that has been strange for all New England sports fans, a relevant Celtics team. This hasn't happened since Antoine Walker was under 300 pounds and Paul Peirce was playing hard til the last minute of the last game every season. While some people may think I'm crazy for saying the Celtics are the best team in the East, but really, who can stop them? The Pistons are half of what they used to be, the Cavs have LBJ and they over performed last year and everybody forgets that right now, Varajeo and Pavlovic aren't even on the team and are light years apart in contract negotiations, and the only other relevant team in the East are the Bulls and Raptors who, while good, haven't yet proven that they can do enough to stop KG, Pierce or Ray Allen, let alone all 3 combined...but that's a different story.

All in all, I love sports. Go Sox. Go Pats. Go Celts. (Go BC?)

No comments: