Wednesday, October 3, 2007

October is upon us!

The MLB playoffs start tonight and I'm glad because there are few things as wonderful as playoff baseball, that is, as long as the White Sox and Astros aren't involved. So here we go, time to make some picks.

AL:
Red Sox vs. Angels

Andrew - I'm taking the Red Sox in 4 games. I think one of the Angels pitchers will steal a game but overall, the Sox are just too good a team to lose in the first round. Red Sox in 4.

jb - The Red Sox have too much starting pitching and offense to lose to the Angels. The only thing that scares me about this series is the Red Sox bullpen, which was brutual down the strech. If Gagne has to pitch in too many close games the Sox will lose, but it probably won't come to that. Red Sox in 3.

JN- I like the Sox in 5. I think this is going to be a really good series, because both teams have a nasty short series rotation and a stud closer, but I give the Sox the offensive edge.


Yankees vs. Indians

Andrew - Living in Ohio, Indian fever is all over the place, and its not the feeling you get after eating curry. This series is the ultimate team vs. talent match-up and I see the team pulling this one out. Indians in 5.

jb - This is an intriguing series. The Indians are a feel good story, young, easy to like players with some great pitching. While the Yankees have one the best offenses ever assembled. I love to hate the Yankees, but they're better than Cleveland and will win the series. Yankees in 4.

JN- Now is the time that knowing something about the AL would be good. Cleveland is so hot right now, with great young pitchers and hitters and a potential Cy Young winner. On the other hand, a short series will hide the Yankees' pitching flaws and they have a definite MVP winner. Ultimately, I'm tired of people forgetting that the Phillies wear pinstripes too because the Yanks somehow claimed them, so Indians in 5.

NL:
Cubs vs. Diamondbacks

Andrew - The Red Sox and White Sox have given their fans reason to live, and the Cubs will give their fans something to cheer about this year...at least in the first round. Soriano and Zambrano make their millions and the Cubs win in 4.

jb - I see this as the emotional series, I'm predicting a brawl somehow involving Zambrano. Trust me, it'll happen. The Diamandbacks will prove to be heartbreakers to the Cubs faithful. Diamondbacks in 5.

JN- It's way too hard for me to like a Cubs team that finally pulled out of a wretched NL Central. That's like being proud of being the skinniest kid at fat camp; impressive while you're there, but when you step out into the world you're still a 200 pound 12 year old. A scrappy Arizona team in 4.


Rockies vs. Phillies

Andrew - I love both these teams so its hard to choose. Do I take the team with the better talent (Philly) or the team with the amazing hot streak coming into the playoffs (Rockies)? I'm taking the Phillies because even if Ryan Howard strikes out 3 times a game, it only takes him 1 swing to change the game. Phillies in 5.

jb - The Rockies will probably have a "We're just happy to be here" attitude. Sure Matt Holliday is amazing, but besides him who else is (okay, fine, I'll give you the shortstop, but you don't know his name, you just know that he's a ROY canidate). The Phillies on the other hand have Rollins, Howard, and Utley with Hamels starting Game 1. You can't name the Rockies first game starter. Philies in 3.

JN- Let the bias flow. I could literally write 10,000 words about this series, and I probably will. But in another post. It's going to be a dynamite series no matter who wins, because these are arguably the two hottest teams in baseball and they're gonna give a great show. Nonetheless, the Phils are loaded for bear and looking to show the world what they're made of: Phils in 4.

No comments: